Sunday, March 22, 2009

Slow Down!!!

My girl is just growing up so fast and I am not liking this at all. Recently she came home from school and said that the boy she has liked and has liked her for about 1 1/2 years said that he knew she couldn't "go out" and that she isn't allowed to date but wondered if she was allowed to go to the movies if there were a lot of people, as a group. Well, my first reaction is "Uh, no". And I tell Jesse thinking he would fully agree but he says "That'd be okay as long as there are lots of other kids and it's not a date". I'm thinking he's teasing or crazy but we talk about it a little while and I realize that that really wouldn't be a problem. I remember being her age and going to the sporting events after school and meeting up with groups of friends and such. Growing up in a small town we didn't have things like movie theaters or anywhere to socialize at that age so I'm not used to the idea. But we said yes and gave her the rules and this weekend was it. She was so cute. We picked her up last night at 9:00 at the front of the theater. There were 4 or 5 girls and the one boy. She said it was a lot of fun. I quizzed her too thoroughly about the goings on and she assured me everything was as it was supposed to be. She's such a cute girl. I have to say that while I stand firm on the no boyfriend thing I really love watching her go through this stage. She isn't boy crazy. Never talks about boys. Totally fine with the no boyfriend policy in our home and has never questioned our reasons. I am very lucky. This is a fun time in life and will continue to be fun if she keeps it uncomplicated.
I have to say the silly, cheesy, sappy mom part of me did come out though. As I'm quizzing her about everything she tells me he offered to by her a slushy and I almost cried. Isn't that sweet that a little 7th grade boy would offer to buy the girl he likes a drink. She turned him down of course but I loved that he offered.
I still wish she would slow down and quit growing up so fast.

3 comments:

dlriley said...

How is it that everything with your children can be so fun and exciting and so sad at the same time. I agree, I wish it could just slow down.

Barmore Family said...

It is neat having kids that don't fight against the no boy/girl friend thing. Riley is the same way. He has no desire to have a girlfriend. I look at him most of the time and want to cry because I don't want him growing up so fast but I also look at him and think what a great friend I have in this wonderful young man.

Unknown said...

I actually have a tear in my eye right now, and its not even my kid!This is such an exciting time for her. You are such a good mom.