I'm rounding the bend, the end is in sight. Hard to believe this journey is rapidly coming to an end. When I started back to school 4 1/2 years ago, it seemed so far away. Now my countdown is nearing the final days. It's an interesting set of emotions I am encountering as I get closer to completing this chapter in my life. I am really looking forward to having a life that does not involve busy busy all day and study all night. It is draining and exhausting and guilt inducing because I never feel like there is enough time for my family. I love learning and have a sincere desire to learn as much as I can while in school. I know that when I'm done I won't have a requirement put on me to attend special lectures and read text books and scientific journals. It will be hard to find the time to make those things a priority when I won't have someone grading my performance. I hope that I will continue to want to learn everything about my field and keep up with all the latest research.
I recently took the Praxis and on the day of the test I was quite emotional. This exam has been the big exam looming over our heads since we first learned there was such a thing way back in undergrad. When the day finally arrived, I knew I had finally arrived. All those who I placed on a pedestal and thought surely I would never know enough to pass such a comprehensive examination represented where I finally had arrived. I was now taking that test, demonstrating what I had learned. This was a big day, a big accomplishment. And I did it. I took the test, I passed and now I'm in the group I had once looked upon with such awe. I am so proud that I have come so far, that I've done this with my family right beside me. We did this together because it took great sacrifice on everyone's part. I know it was so much more difficult going to graduate school with kids at home. But I think that I have appreciated it all the more because it has not been easy. I have also had the opportunity to be on the receiving end of so much service and love. I don't think I really understood how wonderful the people in my life are. I have some of the best friends in the world. So many people who have helped me to accomplish my goals. I will never be able to repay them, but I hope it will make me a more compassionate and charitable person. I hope I am able to help others the way I have been helped. What an incredible journey. The countdown is nearing the end. I am both sad and anxious to see what lies around the next corner.
2 comments:
Leanne,
you have done an amazing thing here, and you inspire me to keep going with school, even though it is getting really hard to keep up with all I need to do. Thank you for showing me that is all worth it.
Congratulations on your accomplishment! It's exhilarating to know you can compete and complete what younger ones on campus are doing. Not that you're so old, but when we return to school after an absence we wonder how we'll do with everything else going on in our lives.
Post a Comment