Tuesday, January 20, 2009

Bread Pudding Recipe for Alicia



Butter a 2qt baking dish. Cut into 1 inch squares about 4 to 5 cups of white bread, stale but not hard. I used a french baguette that was about a week old. This caused me to double everything so use half to stay with these measurements. Spread bread evenly in baking dish and sprinkle about 3/4 cup of raisins.
Whisk together 4 large eggs, 3/4 cup sugar, 1 tsp. vanilla, 1 tsp. cinnamon, 1/2 tsp ground nutmeg, and 1/2 tsp salt. Whisk in 3 cups of whole milk, low-fat milk, 1/2 and 1/2, or whatever combination of milks you desire. Pour milk mixture over bread and let stand for about 30 minutes. Press bread into mixture periodically throughout 30 minutes. Bake in a preheated oven at 350 degrees. Bake in a water bath for a moist,evenly cooked bread pudding. It is done when it is firm and puffed up in the center, about 1 1/4 hours.
Many sauces and toppings can be used for bread pudding. I chose to make a cinnamon sauce. 1 cup of water, 1 cup dark brown sugar, 2 tbls. whipping cream, milk, half and half, or evaporated milk, 1 tsp. ground cinnamon. Combine 1 cup of water and brown sugar in a heavy medium saucepan. Bring to a boil over high heat, stirring until the sugar dissolves. Boil until the syrup reduces to 1 cup, about 10 minutes. Remove from the heat and whisk in the cream and cinnamon. Keep the syrup warm. (The syrup can be made 1 day ahead. Cool, then cover and refrigerate. Re-warm before serving.)

Hope it turns out great for you!!

2 comments:

dlriley said...

We are reading The Persian Pickle Club for our dinner book club sometime this year and there is the discussion of a young woman's bread pudding and how wonderful it is, more wonderful than anyone could make in the whole town. This would be so nice to have at that dinner. I hope I remember to share it with whoever has it then. Maybe I'll even try it before then. It sounds good and I love bread pudding. My grandmother used to make the best!!!

Bingham Bunch said...

I just resolved to start eating better and get back in shape! Thanks a lot! ;o)